Councils are required by the Dog & Cat Management Act to keep a register of dogs in the local area. To ensure the register is kept up to date dog registrations are renewed every 12 months during July and August.
All dogs aged 3 months or over, living on the property longer than 14 days must be registered with Council. Persons registering a dog must be 16 years of age or older.
To register a dog you will need to make a written application to Council and pay a registration fee (pensioner concessions and other rebates are available).
Once the dog has been registered you will be issued with:
- A certificate of registration
- A registration disc (this must be worn by the dog at all times)
Failure to register a dog is an offence under the Act and the owner or person responsible for the dog may be fined.
Following the registration of a dog you are required to notify Council as soon as possible if the following events occur:
- The dog is moved to another premises
- The dog dies or is missing for more than 72 hours
- Ownership of the dog is transferred to another person
Dog Registration Fees
Concession Card Holder - 50% rebate
Trained Dog - 10% rebate
Microchipped Dog - 10% rebate
Valid Concession details must be shown
NOTE: To qualify for a reduced registration fee for a desexed dog, a copy of a desexing certificate must be provided.
Where Can I Make Payment ?
Payment can be made:
- In person by cash, cheque, money order, EFTPOS and selected Credit Cards (Visa, Master Card, Bank Card) at our office 29 Holland Street, Kingston SE
- By posting cheque or money order to PO Box 321, Kingston SE SA 5275
Dogs must be re registered by the 31 August each year. Please be aware that a late fee may be applied if not paid by the due date.